Sulphur Bluff, Texas, USA

5.21.2010

Master Mugs


In celebration of my recent graduation I decided to do a series of mugs honoring the grandfathers and grandmothers of art. There are about 30 mugs that feature famous paintings, drawings, sculpture, architecture, and photography. I call the series Master Mugs.
















































Artists in these pictures include: Dorothea Lange, Edouard Manet, Georges Seurat, Jacques-Louis David, and Paul Gauguin. This first collection of high art mugs ranges from the Venus of Willendorf to Jasper Johns. I was not interested in "copying" the images completely, some of them are cropped, edited, combined, and altered. The exciting thing to me about this project is that I can pick and choose how I want to show these masterworks...on a coffee mug.



No comments: