Sulphur Bluff, Texas, USA

3.24.2011

Ninefruits


I am working on a new design of a stackable bowl. I can never make enough decent, simple, stacking cereal-sized bowls. To me, simpler pots are the ones with more dignity.

::a bit of an excerpt from my thesis paper last spring::



In a piece I call the Ninefruit Bowls I feel the subject is easily identified. On nine small fruit-sized bowls I drew nine different fruits. The bowls are symbols of gifts that God has given to all people. In Scripture, Galatians 5:22 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." This is an example of how my drawings can be allegorical. A dietician would recommend a small bowl of fresh fruit every day for your body, and a minister would prescribe scripture to feed the soul. These small bowls are the simplest forms I make; I believe they are also the most practical. They were made to serve.

No comments: